Sunday, May 29, 2011

Ducati’s First Camping Trip! (Canyon de Chelly National Monument)

Arrival, Canyon de Chelly National Monument.  No entrance fee, AND free camping! 
First task, grab a campsite and take a breather, gazing at the trees above me…

Canyon de Chelly National Monument Cottonwood Campground (1)


And now, because I skipped the Blue Mesa Trail hike in Petrified National Forest, I had time for the White House Trail…

Canyon de Chelly National Monument White House Trail (14)

 
Oh Glorious Light!  I couldn’t have been there at a better time of day…

Canyon de Chelly National Monument White House Trail (25)

 
For some reason I found myself thinking of cupcakes and swirls of chocolate frosting…

Canyon de Chelly National Monument White House Trail (22)



Here they are, at the bottom of the Canyon, the “White House Ruins.”   You can’t see it in this photo, but one of the buildings is whitewashed, giving the ruins their name.

Canyon de Chelly National Monument White House Trail (51)
 

You can see in the bottom left of the photo below how the ruins are built into the steep canyon side…

Canyon de Chelly National Monument White House Trail (53)
 

I also had time for a ride out to Spider Rock…

Canyon de Chelly National Monument Spider Rock (4)
 \

And a peek at Junction Overlook, where Canyon de Chelly meets Canyon del Muerto…

Canyon de Chelly National Monument Junction Overlook (5)
 

I made a friend at my campsite that evening.  She quickly appeared every time I arrived, or emerged from my tent…

Canyon de Chelly National Monument Cottonwood Campground Friend-1
 

Not one of the heritage breed Navajo-Churro sheep, but a sheep in a Navajo canyon, nonetheless…

Canyon de Chelly National Monument near Cottonwood Campground (8)
 

No camping trip is complete without a night time photo of your motorcycle!  (Cool  red seat cowl removed before departure to accommodate my tail bag.)

Canyon de Chelly National Monument Cottonwood Campground at night (10)

I’d stay in this campsite for one more night.  Next: Day Trip to southern Utah!

2 comments:

Dave6253 said...

Very nice bike photo. Excellent use of flash. I hadn't seen that photo before.

Paula said...

Thanks, Dave. I used my camping headlamp for that shot!